Image Credit: Tollerton
Aldwark is a village in the Hambleton district in North Yorkshire, originally part of the North Riding of Yorkshire. It’s situated along the River Ouse and is around 14 miles from the city of York. Aldwark is built in a conservation area and, according to the 2011 census, it has around 308 residents.
Aldwark Toll Bridge
In Aldwark there is a toll bridge which allows cars to cut across the River Ure at a charge of 40p, slightly more at £1 for large vehicles, including trailers, that weigh more than 3,500kg. Crossing this toll bridge saves people from travelling an extra 25 miles to get to the other side of the river.
Its current owners bought Aldwark Toll Bridge in August 2020. The primary aim of the bridge is to improve traffic while the cost to cross allows for upgrades to the bridge.
The bridge has been around for many years, with the original toll bridge thought to have been washed away by flooding. It’s also been reported that an iceberg damaged the bridge during the 19th century. However, no further evidence has been found.
On the 12th December in 1988, Aldwark Toll Bridge was granted Grade II status.
The Aldwark Arms within the North Yorkshire village is an 18th century pub that is loved by many and welcomes people who travel across the county to visit. It’s a family run restaurant and pub which welcomes dogs in the bar and bar restaurant.
Religion in Aldwark
Aldwark is home to St Stephen’s Church, which, on the 16th of June in 1984, was given Grade II listed status. In 1852, Lady Frankland-Russell of Thirkleby Park commissioned the church. Two years later, in 1854, the building was consecrated.
A Victorian architect called Edward Buckton Lamb designed St Stephen’s Church. Edward had previously built 5 other churches in Yorkshire and became known as a ‘rogue architect’. Kemp created the stained glass window, a focal point of the church, in 1885 to depict the story of St Stephen.
The interior of the Yorkshire church has remained near enough the same as it was when the church was first built. Within the building is the original Victorian furniture that has been there since the beginning.
St Stephen’s Church is modest in size. It was originally built for the local farmers, however it’s now used by Aldwark residents. Wherever people sit in the pews, everything can be seen and heard.
Travelling In & Out of Aldwark
Aldwark is a small village that is tucked away in North Yorkshire. As a result, it doesn’t have many public transport services. The village has one bus stop and one service, which is the 29, that travels from York to Linton on Ouse. This bus service doesn’t run on evenings or on Sundays, so residents of Aldwark are limited as to when they can travel.
The North Riding village doesn’t have a railway station. The closest station is in York, which has train services that travel across the UK to places such as nearby Leeds, and go as far as London.
History of Aldwark
Aldwark was originally known as Ald Weorc, which means Old Fort in Old Norse. Since then, the village was given another name which is recorded in the 1086 Domesday book as Adwera before it became Aldwark.
There used to be a Roman fort in the village. This guarded a ferry crossing along an old Roman road which passed through Aldwark and led to York.
At one point, the village of Aldwark was owned by a man called Ligulf until 1086. The village was then given to Count Robert of Mortain, who was the 2nd Earl of Cornwall, a Norman nobleman, and the half brother to King William the Conqueror.