Image Credit: Sean Driver
Acomb is a village within the City of York Unitary Authority and is the largest suburban area in York. Historically, part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, this former farming village is home to 19 Grade II listed buildings, and has a population of 22,215 according to the 2011 Census.
Open areas in Acomb
The North Yorkshire village of Acomb has several open areas open to the public. Each of these areas offers its visitors something different, whether that’s looking for views, or discovering the local wildlife.
Bachelor Hill is the highest point in Acomb and stands around 90ft above sea level. It’s a sandy hill which has a wide grassy area and some trees.
Fishponds wood is located on the site of an old pond, hence the name. It is the home to a mixture of trees and shrubs.
The largest open space in the village is Acomb woods which is a local nature reserve. It’s split up into East and West, the East Wood is 10 acres and the West Wood is 3 acres. Acomb woods are home to a variety of species and trees, including flora. Woodland Trust manages the western side of the woods.
Travelling In & Out of Acomb
Two classified roads which lead in and out of the North Yorkshire village. The A59 is the York to Liverpool road which is called Boroughbridge Road. Just before the A59, the York Road and Acomb Road join. The B1224 is the York to Wetherby Road and is called Wetherby Road.
Shopping in Acomb
Acomb has a small shopping area within the village that is accompanied by a free car park. It comprises a mixture of both independent and high street shops. Included are many pubs, cafes, restaurants and takeaways that are enjoyed by the locals. It is also home to a small market.
Education in Acomb
The village has many schools, including three comprehensive schools called Oaklands Secondary School, Lowfield School and Manor Church of England School. It has four primary schools and no higher education, so students wanting to study ‘A’ levels go to York College.
In 2007, Oaklands and Lowfield merged and were renamed as York High School. The new site for this school is on the original Oaklands Secondary School site and has a nursery, sports hall and swimming pool.
Carr Junior School was an infant school, but the school added juniors in 1950. This is similar to Westfield Primary Community, which opened in 1951 as an infant school, and added the junior school a year later.
Hob Moor Primary School opened to infants in 1954 and a year later, juniors were added. In 2007, the school moved to a new location. Two years later, in 2009, Hob Moor Primary and Oaks Special School joined.
Manor Church School moved out of Acomb in 2009. The school relocated to Nether Poppleton.
In 2011, Our Lady’s Roman Catholic Primary joined with English Martyrs Roman Catholic Primary. Together they became Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Roman Catholic Primary.
Acomb was home to one of the oldest primary schools in North Yorkshire, called Acomb Primary School. This school ended up moving to Holgate for a more modern building.
Sports in Acomb
Sport in this North Yorkshire village are quite prominent. There are many teams and clubs in Acomb, ranging in a variety of sports.
Before the York Racecourse there was Acomb Moor. This site was used for staged horse racing.
Acomb Football Club is the founding member club of the York Football league in 1897. It is also the founding member of the Yorkshire Football league in 1920. Acomb only has one football club on Moor Lane.
The Green is a sports and social club which has seen many games played. It’s the grounds for the villages cricket and hockey club.
Acomb also has its own rugby club called the York Acorn Rugby League. The team’s home ground is on Thanet Road.
Religion in Acomb
Acomb is a religious Yorkshire village. There are many types of churches supporting a variety of faith’s and beliefs.
St Stephen’s Church is a Grade II listed building. G T Andrews built the religious building between 1831 to 1832 on the previous church site. In 1992, fire caused by arson nearly destroyed St Stephen’s Church. Locals, along with previous funds, contributed towards the repairs and reconstruction. In its place, they built a larger building.
Another church is St Aidan’s Church. York architects Ferry & Mennim built this in 1968. Acomb is also home to the Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady. In 1955, J H Langtry-Langton built the church. Acomb Methodist Church was built in 1964.
Quakers settled in Acomb and often met at the Foresters Hall around 1906. Five years later, in 1911, they moved to their current location on The Green.
In 1934, Sir Robert Newbald Kay gifted Acomb a temporary Methodist chapel. A permanent Methodist church was built soon after, and the construction was completed in 1937.
History of Acomb
Records have been found that the village of Acomb existed before the Norman conquest. It’s mentioned in the 1086 Domesday book as ‘Achum’ and ‘Acum’. People have given the village a variety of spellings until printed was established and they spelled it as Acomb.
The original name, Acum, means ‘oak trees’. It’s believed that the residents established the village in a wooded area.
By the 14th century, Acomb was a typical Anglo-Saxon village, which was consisted of farms and smallholdings. Just after the reign of King John, the area was deforested.
Acomb became the property of dean and chapter of York Minster. During the reign of Edward the Confessor, the village was designated as a manor.
Around 1854, Acomb was introduced to railways which were built soon after. Now a manor, a portion of the village was sold to the North Eastern Railway company to allow them the right of way for a railway track.
Acomb was part of the Great Ouseburn district council uuntil1894. It was at this time that the village became its own district council.
The last lord to own Acomb was Algernon Barlow. Lordship over the village ended in 1925. 12 years later, in 1937, Acomb was incorporated into the City of York.
In 1920, Corporate of York bought Acomb Hall and turned into a maternity hospital which opened two years since the purchase. Then, in 1954, Acomb Hall became a geriatric hospital.
On the 12th February in 1934, Regent Cinema opened. It had 899 seats and one balcony. Despite being popular, the cinema closed in 1959 due to people no longer going. The last film shown at Regent Cinema in Acomb was Sierra Baron.