At the height of the railway frenzy across Yorkshire and the rest of the country, the strategic Market Weighton to York line was opened. Not only did this open access to the grand old city from East Yorkshire but provided the first link towards the Humber. The building of this new railway also led to the opening of Market Weighton station, which due to its location would become very important to the farmers and agricultural workers. This was because they did not have to rely on canals to transport their produce to Hull an other parts of the county. The route was designed and passed by the York and North Midland Railway company, owned by George Hudson in 1846. The line to York included a side route to Hudson’s own personal station between Shiptonthorpe and Londesborough and to Stamford Bridge. Other stations were added to the line in subsequent years, such as Pocklington, Fangfoss and Huntington. The following year, a further line linking the market town to Selby and Bridlington were added, which gave Weightoners better access to the seaside and to the Humber docks for goods trains.
Market Weighton station itself was designed by George Andrews Townsend and had two facing platforms, with a footbridge and a large train shed. The brick built station house had four stone pillars, four chimneys, a bay window, toilets and waiting areas or first, second and third class passengers. It dominated the area off Londesborough Road in the town. The station was a terminus, until 1865, when the line was extended to Beverley and it became an important central location in the Yorkshire rail network, for both goods and passengers.
Cover picture flickr Public domain creative commons.