Image Credit: Pictures of England
Aldbrough is a village in East Yorkshire, and was originally part of the East Riding of Yorkshire. It’s around 7.5 miles away from Holderness. According to the 2011 census, 1269 people had made Aldbrough their home.
Religion in Aldbrough
Within Aldbrough is an Anglican parish church called St Bartholomew’s Church. The building was built towards the end of the 14th century and has been used since. On the 16 December 1966, St Bartholomew’s Church was listed as a Grade II building.
This church in Aldbrough has a sundial, which has an inscription written in a mixture of Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse. The inscription reads “Ulf had this church built for his own sake and for Gunnvor’s soul”.
Travelling In & Out of Aldbrough
The East Riding village doesn’t have its own railway station. The closest to Aldbrough is in Hull which is around 15 miles away, making it quite difficult to get the train.
Aldbrough also doesn’t have a bus station within the village. However, there are several bus stops throughout, with the main bus route being the 129, which travels from Withernsea to Hornsea.
Pubs in Aldbrough
Aldbrough is the home of two much loved pubs. These are The Ship Inn, and The George & Dragon pub.
The Ship Inn is a traditional English country pub which, over the years, has welcomed many famous faces, including Prince William and Harry. Another notable guest is Gordon Ramsay, who visited as part of the Real Gravy Campaign. During his time visiting, Gordon said that The Ship Inn’s Sunday roast was the best in the nation.
The current owners of The Ship Inn believed that there were three ghosts haunting the popular pub. As a result, they held a requiem mass to allow the ghosts to finally rest in peace.
In the late 17th century, The George & Dragon pub was built. Originally, the owners used it as a coaching inn, which enabled travellers who were passing by to stop and have a rest. During the 19th century, the owners of The George & Dragon pub updated the interior and remodelled it.
History of Aldbrough
Dating back to the medieval era until the 19th century, Aldbrough was part of the Holderness Wapentake. It was a self-sufficient village which had farmers, joiners, farriers, an auctioneer, and a shoemaker, amongst other things.
Between 1894 to 1935, Aldbrough was part of the Skirlaugh rural district. This then changed in 1935 when it fell under the Holderness rural district, where Aldbrough became part of the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1974 to 1996, the village joined the borough of Holderness.
Throughout 1958 to 1975, the Royal Observer Corps used the village of Aldbrough as a monitoring bunker. If a nuclear attack were to happen, then this site would be used for protection. In 1989, the monitoring bunker slipped off of the edge of the cliff face. Part of the bunkers remains can still be seen along the beach.