Image Credit: CastlesFortBattles
Aldborough is a village in North Yorkshire within the borough of Harrogate. Despite being in North Yorkshire, the village was originally in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
Religion in Aldborough
St Andrew’s Church in Aldborough dates back to the early 14th century. In 1318, the Scots raided the church which was partly destroyed in the process. As a result, the North Yorkshire village decided to band together and St Andrew’s was rebuilt in 1330.
During the 18th century, the church installed a bread shelf so the poor who attended St Andrew’s on a Sunday would be able to have some food. Currently, the bread shelf holds hymn books.
St Andrew’s Church has a bell ringing group. These are held everything odd month such as January, March, April, etc. The other month’s bell ringing group is held in Boroughbridge.
Archaeological Findings in Aldborough
Over the years, evidence has been found that Aldborough was built on the site of a major Roman town called Isuruim Brigantum. This town was popular because it marked the crossing along the Roman road called Dere Street. This started at York and led to the Antonine Wall passing Hadrian’s Wall.
The town of Isurium Brigantum was within the administrative centre of Brigantes. At the time, the town was home to the most popular British tribe.
Part of the evidence found within Aldborough were houses of comfortable sizes, potsherds, coins, bronze, iron, and even the town walls marking the border of Isuruim Brigantum. The English Heritage has since opened a museum called the Aldborough Roman Site Museum, where visitors can look at relics and mosaic pavements whilst learning about Aldborough’s Roman history.
History of Aldborough
In the 1086 Domesday book, Aldborough is recorded as ‘Burgh’, which is Old English for ‘ancient fortification’. By 1145, the ‘aid’ part, now ‘ald’ was added, which is Old English for ‘old’. Aldborough means old ancient fortification.
During the Nortman times, the village of Aldborough had lost its importance. This was due to the river crossing being moved to Boroughbridge, so people were visiting there rather than the village.
Aldborough became part of a large ancient civil parish, which included numerous townships in both the North and West Riding. By 1938, this civil parish was abolished, which led to Aldborough merging with Boroughbridge. The village then became part of the West Riding of Yorkshire up until 1974, when the ridings were abolished and Aldborough joined North Yorkshire.