Image Credit: Dave Wright
Adlingfleet is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Originally, the area was a former marshland and has since had drainage systems built to turn it into the Yorkshire village that we know today. Adlingfleet is part of the civil parish of Twin Rivers.
South of the village centre, around 250m (820ft), is the Lincolnshire boundary. Adlingfleet is famous for having the largest tidal reed bed in England, which is a haven for wildlife managed by the RSPB.
Religion in Adlingfleet
Within Adlingfleet is the parish church of All Saints, which is a Grade I listed building that was built during the 13th century. It has a cruciform plan with a nave, chancel, south aisle, north and south transepts, and a square tower.
Since being built in the 13th century, the community has updated the parish church with changes being made between 1792 to 1794, and from 1955 to 1957. The doors have been replaced and the aisle and tower were later added.
Inside the church is a monument of the knight Francis Haldenby, along with many others. He was born in 1529 and died in 1596. During his life, he married Elizabeth Wentworth.
Adlingfleet was a marshland that was around 5,000 acres before it became a village. The landowners of this East Riding of Yorkshire village contacted John Smeaton, who was a civil engineer. In 1764, they joined forces to create a drainage scheme.
Work for the scheme began in August 1767, after the plans had been approved. The work cost around £7,000, which is roughly £1,268,070.26 as of 2022.
Although this drainage scheme has been effective for many years, by the 1920s flooding was becoming a problem which was happening often. As a result, the drainage was upgraded by being made wider and deeper.
This stopped flooding in the village, however, it led to a decline in eel populations. The barriers were stopping eel migration. In May 2011, a fish-flap was fitted within the system, which doesn’t affect the flood protection while allowing fish to pass through.
History of Adlingfleet
Adlingfleet is recorded in the 1086 Domesday book as ‘Adelingesfluet’. Before the Norman conquest, the Lord of the Manor was Siward Barn, however, by the time the village was recorded, it was owned by Geoffrey de la Guerche.
Between 1894 and 1974, Adlingfleet was part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, and then became part of the Humberside in 1996. Currently, the village is part of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council.