Image Credit: Stephen Horncastle
Acklam is a village within the civil parish in the Ryedale district, North Yorkshire. It’s not to be mistaken for Acklam (Middlesbrough). Originally, Acklam (Ryedale) was part of the East Riding of Yorkshire before coming into North Yorkshire. The small village is around 12 miles from York and has a population of 168, according to the 2011 census.
Education in Acklam (Ryedale)
There is no school in the village of Acklam (Ryedale). However, it falls under the catchment area of Leavening Primary School, which is a mile away from the village. The closest secondary school to Acklam is Norton College.
Religion in Acklam (Ryedale)
Acklam (Ryedale) is home to a church which is dedicated to St John the Baptist, who is said to have originated in York. The religious building on the site of the current church was a Wesleyan Methodist Church built in 1794 after an Anglican Church was destroyed.
Listed buildings in Acklam (Ryedale)
Despite only being a small village, Acklam (Ryedale) has many Grade II listed buildings, all of which were given their status on the 11th of February in 1987. These are:
- 1-5 Main Street
- The house originally known as Bassetts
- Merton House
History of Acklam (Ryedale)
Acklam (Ryedale) is Old English for ‘oak tree’ although some people believe it means ‘a forest or wood clearing’. The village is first recorded in the 1086 Domesday book as ‘Aclum’ under the East Riding of Yorkshire.
In 1066, Acklam was owned by Lord Siward. The land consisted of 4 ploughlands, or settlements, 2 lord ploughlands, and a church. Remains of an earthwork motte can be found within Acklam (Ryedale), along with a bailey castle overlooking the village to the south.