Acklam (Middlesbrough)

Image Credit: Djdaedalus

This Acklam is part of the borough of Middlesbrough in North Yorkshire. It’s not to be mistaken for Acklam (Ryedale). Acklam (Middlesbrough) has a population of 6027 according to the 2011 Census.

Education in Acklam (Middlesbrough)

Acklam (Middlesbrough), has several schools in its area. One of these is the Newham Bridge Primary School, children can then progress to either Acklam Grange School or Outwood Academy Acklam.

Outwood Academy Acklam was established in 2011 as Oakfields Community College and is a comprehensive secondary school that now has academy status. In 2012, the schools relocated and by 2013 gained its academy status and was renamed Outwood Academy Acklam.

.

Sport in Acklam (Middlesbrough)

Middlesbrough Cricket Club. Image Credit: Middlesbrough CC Facebook page

Acklam (Middlesbrough) has two football teams in the area which are Marton Football Club and Kader Football Club. Marton is the largest junior football club in the junior Sunday league. It’s players can start as young as 6 years old up until they’re 16.

Kader Football Club was formed in 1976. It has over 300 players spread out in 30 teams. They’re goal as a football club is to provide all ages and abilities with the opportunity to safely play football in an environment that is friendly for all.

Close by is the home of the Middlesbrough Rugby Club. They were originally founded in 1872 and currently have 5 senior clubs and 10 junior teams. Nicknamed ‘The Lions’, Middlesbrough RUFC play at Acklam Park.

Middlesbrough Cricket Club have shared the same ground as The Lions since 1932. The club was founded in 1855.

Acklam Hall

Acklam Hall. Image Credit: Acklam Hall

Acklam Hall is the only Grade I listed building in the whole of Middlesbrough. In the early 17th century Sir Francis Boynton owned the estate and rented out the building. William Hustler, a cloth merchant from Bridlington, decided to rent Acklam Hall so he could trade in the area and be closer to the River Tees.

In 1637, William bought the estate and with it the Acklam township. During 1680 to 1683, William’s grandson added an extra floor to turn Acklam Hall into a two storey building. It remained in the Hustler family for around 200 years.

In 1935, the building became a school for boys and opened as Acklam Hall School. Between 2008 and 2015, the Grade I listed building underwent major renovation and restoration to turn it back to its former glory. In 2016, Acklam Hall reopened and now hosts events and weddings.

History of Acklam (Middlesbrough)

Acklam (Middlesbrough) is thought to be of Anglo-Saxon origin. The name Acklam is Old English for ‘place of oaks’ or possibly ‘place at the oak clearings’. In the 1086 Domesday book, the village is recorded as being named ‘Aclun’.

Up until 1068, Acklam (Middlesbrough) was originally a manor which has 11 gold-taxed ploughlands or settlements. It was owned by Earl Siward until 1086 when the manor and its lands were passed on to Hugh Earl of Chester.

Over the years, the land extended to 24 ploughlands in total. At one point, a man called Robert Malet owned one of the settlements while the King at the time owned three. After Robert Malet died, the ploughlands were passed on to his son. It wasn’t long before his son died in a pub call The White Ship. as a result the King owned all of the land.

Records have been found of an agreement made between Whitby Abbey and Guisborough Priory. By 1138, it’s said that four of these settlements were owned by the Robert de Bruce family line.

These ploughlands were passed on to many lords. In 1757, the west area of Acklam (Middlesbrough) was deserted. This is now a grassy area next to the A19 road.

In the late 19th century to the early 20th century, the village passed from the Middlesbrough Rural District to Stokesley Rural District. Acklam (Middlesbrough) soon became part of the Middlesbrough County Borough with its ceremonial county being North Yorkshire.